Thursday, September 20, 2012

Electro Harmonix 44 Magnum Amp


I've been wanting to try the Electro Harmonix 44 Magnum amp and I finally ordered one to evaluate. Since it has the pedal form factor I mounted it on my pedal board.

So far I've only played it for a half hour, with zero effects. I had my Silver Bullet mic plugged straight into the 44 Mag, driving a stock Epi Valve Jr. cab with the 12-inch Lady Luck speaker.

This thing rocks. It is loud with good tone, even a bit of crunch. I was in a small room standing right next to the speaker, so feedback was a bit of an issue, but no more of a problem than with small tube amps. I had the tone switch set to Normal (not Bright).

Tomorrow I'll play it with the pedals: Kinder AFB+ anti-feedback, MXR Carbon Copy analog delay, Boss EQ pedal, and the BBE Sonic Stomp. I'm pretty sure I can get a giggable sound out of this thing.

The rectangular box you see next to the 44 Mag (above the Pedal Power) is the power supply. The 44 Mag has to use it's own power supply; it draws too much current for the VooDoo Lab Pedal Power 2+.

I think the purpose of the 44 Mag is as a backup amp. If the Bassman craps out I can hook the 44 Mag up to one of the Lil Buddy speakers and keep playing. The speaker load has to be 8 or 16 ohms, so it cannot drive the 2 ohm load of the four tens as they are wired in the Bassman.

Or, if it sounds good enough and I want to travel light, I can bring the pedal board and a cab to the gig and have at it.

I'll shoot some video and post it in a few day. More later...

No comments: